For the Struffoli:
- 600 gram all purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 25 gram sugar
- 80 gram butter
- 1/2 Lemon- grated rind
- Oil for frying
To garnish and decorate:
- 400 gram Honey
- Coloured candy sprinkles
- Cinnamon flavoured candy sprinkles
- 100 gram candied Orange
- Mound the flour on the countertop or on large working table, make a well in the middle and add the egg, butter, sugar, grated rind of half a lemon and a little salt.
- Blend and knead until smooth and well-formed, shape into a ball and set aside for half an hour.
- Knead again briefly before dividing into balls the size of oranges, then roll them out to make strips as thick as your finger; cut them into small pieces and place them on a cloth sprinkled with flour.
- Place in a sieve just before frying to remove excess flour.
- Fry a few at a time in plenty of boiling oil ; they are done when they swell up and turn golden, but not too dark. Drain on paper towels.
- Warm the honey in a fairly large saucepan, take it off the heat and add the fried struffoli, stirring gently until they are soaked in honey. Then add about half of the candy sprinkles and chopped candied fruit and stir.
Credits to: finedininglovers.com