- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons mild molasses
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup mini real semi-sweet chocolate chips, if desired
- 6 ounces vanilla-flavored candy coating (almond bark)- chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 170 Celsius.
- Combine butter, sugar, brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves in large bowl.
- Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed.
- Add eggs and continue beating until well mixed. Then add molasses and continue beating until well mixed.
- Add flour and baking powder and beat at low speed until well mixed. Stir in mini chocolate chips (optional).
- Divide dough into half. Shape each half into 12-inch log on lightly floured surface. Place logs 3 inches apart onto lightly greased large baking tray. Flatten logs slightly.
- Bake 22-25 minutes or until tops are cracked and logs are golden brown. Remove from oven; cool 15 minutes on cookie sheet. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- Carefully place logs onto cutting surface. Cut into 1/2-inch diagonal slices with serrated knife. Place, cut-side down, onto baking tray.
- Return to oven. Bake 9 minutes; turn slices. Continue baking 5-7 minutes or until cookies are dry and crisp. Cool completely.
- For coating, place candy coating into small bowl. Microwave 1 minute; stir. Continue microwaving, stirring every 15 seconds, until melted and smooth. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Place cookies onto waxed paper; drizzle with melted candy coating. Let set at room temperature until coating is firm. *if you cannot get molasses, you can substitute it with dark brown sugar.
Credits to: landolakes.com