The secret to delicious shrimp tempura isnʻt the shrimp. Itʻs the tempura batter.
- 10 Jumbo shrimp (the bigger the better. Thaw if they are frozen.
- Panko breadcrumbs
- 3 scrambled eggs
- Prepare shrimp. Remove shells. Make a shallow slit down the back to devein the shrimp. If you canʻt locate the vein, itʻs not a big deal.
- Turn the shrimp over and make a few tiny slits across the belly. Bend the shrimp so that it is as straight and long as possible.
- Heat vegetable or peanut oil to 170 degrees C. Check temperature with chopsticks. When there are small bubbles around the chopstick, the oil is ready.
- Beat egg yolks and add 2 ice cubes into the bowl to keep the mixture cold. Set bowl aside.
- In a separate bowl place 1 1/2 c flour.
- In another bowl place 1/2 bag of Panko breadcrumbs.
- When the oil is hot, you are ready to deep fry the shrimp.
- Do these steps with each individual shrimp: Roll in flour, then dip in scrambled egg, then coat with Panko breadcrumbs and place carefully in fryer.
- Remember, the flour is first, NOT the scrambled egg mixture.
- Fry about 2 minutes on each side or until batter is golden brown.
- Place onto clean paper towels to drain off excess oil.
- Wait until cool and then ENJOY!
Credits to: 12tomatoes.com