- 1 kilo large squid
- 2 medium size onion, finely diced
- 1 thumb size ginger, finely diced/minced
- 2-3 hot red chili, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 4-6 kalamansi
- salt and pepper to taste
- ice cubes
- Remove skin, innards, head and the plastic like backbone/membrane of each squid.
- Cut open the squid along its body length and thoroughly rinse and drain.
- Using a small sharp knife make diagonal cuts at the inner surface on the meat, keep aside.
- Half fill a saucepan with water let it boil, in the meantime place the ice cubes in a big bowl and half fill with cold water.
- When the water is boiling vigorously turn off the stove, drop the squid on to the boiling water stir a few times and let blanch for about half a minute.
- Using a sieve drain the water, immediately transfer the squid in the iced water to halt the cooking, let cool down for 3 to 5 minutes then drain.
- Cut the squid in thick strips or in squares. Transfer the squid in a big bowl with the white vinegar toss and let sit for 2 to 3 minutes then drain the vinegar.
- Now toss in the chopped onion, ginger, bell peppers and chili. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle with calamansi juice and continue to toss.
- Let chill in the refrigerator for about 5 to 10 minutes or until ready to serve.
Credits to: overseaspinoycooking.net