- 175g pitted dates
- 300ml boiling water
- 100g peanut, almond or cashew butter
- 125g unsalted butter, cubed
- 275g dark brown sugar
- 75g cocoa
- 3 eggs (60g each)
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Peanut butter chocolate ganache
- 200g double cream
- 75g brown sugar
- 225g dark chocolate (70 per cent)
- 75g smooth peanut butter
- 2 tbsp dark rum or milk
- Line the bases of two deep, round 18-centimetre layer cake tins with discs of non-stick paper and heat the oven to 180C or 160C fan-forced.
- Put the dates in a bowl, pour the boiling water in then leave for five minutes. Add the peanut butter and unsalted butter then puree in a food processor until smooth.
- Pour the date mixture into a bowl and beat in the sugar and cocoa, then the eggs and vanilla. Sift the flour with the baking soda and baking powder, then fold in until just combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the tins and bake for about 30 minutes.
- For the ganache, boil the cream, stir in the sugar then pour over the chopped chocolate in a bowl. Add the peanut butter and rum then stir slowly until the chocolate dissolves. Leave until almost set, then spread and assemble the cakes while the ganache is thick and smooth.
Serves 8 to 10
Credits to: goodfood.com.au/recipes/chocolatedate-layer-cake-with-peanut-butter-chocolate-ganache-20140818-3dx57.html