A native dish from Bicol.
- 3 kilos big santol, its thick skin peeled, seeds removed, then grated, soaked in hot water, then drained
- 5 tbsp bagoong
- 1 onion diced finely
- 1 garlic head, diced finely
- 6 coconuts – kakang gata (coconut cream), then after initial squeezing, add 3 to 4 cups hot water and squeeze again to produce more gata (coconut milk)
- 3 to 5 tbsp sugar
- 1 kilo ground pork
- Salt, pepper, chili flakes
- Cook pork on its own until done and browning a bit.
- Add some oil then sauté the onion and garlic.
- Once the aromatics are translucent, add the bagoong and the coconut milk.
- Add the squeezed santol and let it boil for a while. Season to taste with salt, pepper, chili and more bagoong. Once almost done, add coconut cream.
- Serve with steamed rice
Credits to: domesticurbanite.com/2010/08/12/ginataang-santol