- 2 boxes Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ white cake mix
- Water, vegetable oil and egg whites called for on cake mix boxes
- purple neon gel food color
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 350°F. Generously spray four 8- or 9-inch round cake pans with baking spray with flour.
- Make cake batter as directed on boxes. Divide batter equally among 4 bowls. Add food color to make 4 different shades of the same color. Pour batter into pans. Bake and cool as directed on box for 8- or 9-inch rounds.
- In 2-quart saucepan, heat sugar and water to boiling. Cook to 245°F on candy thermometer.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, beat eggs whites, cream of tartar and salt with electric mixer on high speed until peaks form.
- Reduce speed to low; slowly pour sugar syrup into egg whites. Increase speed to high; beat about 7 minutes or until sides of bowl are cool to the touch. Beat in vanilla and add a drop of your purple coloring.
- Spread 1 tablespoon frosting on cake plate to act as glue. Place 1 cake layer on plate. Spread with thin layer of frosting. Repeat to use all layers. Frost cake completely with remaining frosting.
Credits to: bettycrocker.com/recipes/purple-ombre-layer-cake/f9e9f35a-0516-450f-bb47-c250b36be923