The name of a popular Mandaue delicacy, is derived from the combination of two Castilian words: masa (dough) and real (fine).
If you’ve been to Mandaue,Cebu, I’m pretty sure you have already tasted, or at least seen, this sweet delicacy. I am quite addicted to it.
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 kilo peanuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Boil peanuts in water with shell still on. When done, cool. Shell and grind the peanuts finely.
- Prepare a syrup of 1 cup white sugar and 1 cup water.
- Before the syrup thickens, add the ground peanuts, and keep on stirring until thick.
- Remove from heat, and pour over a thin baking sheet.
- Flatten the surface. Cut into 1 inch by 5 inches rectangular strips.
- Wrap each piece in white paper, if so desired.
Shelf life is only 5 days…for the delicacy to taste fresh…can be refrigerated.
Credits to: seasite.niu.edu/tagalog/cebu%20culture/cebu%20cuisine.htm