- 10 egg whites
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 c. sugar
- 1½ cups cashew nuts, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. vanilla
Sans Rival Butter Cream Filling
- 6 eggs yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup butter
- 1½ tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup cashew nuts, roughly chopped for toppings
- Place parchment paper, grease and flour heavily 3 or 5 (8×1 inches) round pans depends on how many layers you want to make and set aside.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks formed.
- Add cream of tartar and beat, gradually add the sugar, beating well after each addition.
- Continue beating until egg whites are very stiff.
- Fold in vanilla extract and cashew nuts.
- Divide in 3 or 5 portions and spread in prepared pans.
- Bake at 300F for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool just enough to handle.
- Immediately loosen the parchment paper while it’s warm in a flat surface because they are hard to loosen as they are crisp when cool.
Prepare Sans Rival fillings
- In a bowl beat egg yolks until thick.
- In another bowl cream the butter and add the vanilla, then set aside.
- Boil sugar and water until it spins a thread.
- Place the bowl of an egg mixture over a bowl of cold water.
- Pour hot syrup into the egg yolks in thin streams while beating (this method will prevent the egg yolk from curdling).
- Whisk vigorously to incorporate and to cool down the egg mixture.
- Blend egg mixture into the butter and whisk well.
- Add and sieve only fine cashew nuts and reserve the remaining.
Assemble Sans Rival Cake
- Place meringue on cake board and spread a cashew butter cream on top, sprinkle with reserved nuts and follow the same procedure on the 2nd and last meringue.
- Use the remaining cashew butter cream to frost all over the meringue, sprinkle remaining nuts on top and coat all sides evenly.
- Refrigerate overnight before serving, to have a firm layered cake and not a crumbled one.
Credits to: pingdesserts.com