- 1 whole chicken, size 14-16
- 2 whole onions, quartered
- 1 whole garlic, pounded with skin on
- ½ thumb sized ginger, minced
- 3 stalks lemon grass
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups rock salt
- banana leaves
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp chicken drippings (you get this when you rest the chicken, don’t use the one from the bottom of the pot)
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Generously rub chicken with salt, garlic and freshly ground black pepper inside the cavity and outside.
- Stuff the cavity with onions, lemon grass, garlic and ginger.
- Place 3 cups of rock salt in the bottom of an earthenware pot then line the top with banana leaves.
- Place chicken in a sitting position then place in an open flame over stove or fire burner, make sure the rest of the chicken would not touch the sides of the pot. Cook for 2 to 2½ two hours or until chicken is tender.
- Once cooked, place chicken in a wire rack to cool, let the juices run in a container.
- Place all sauce ingredients together in a sauce pan and simmer in low heat for 5 minutes.
- Place chicken in a serving plate then serve with dipping sauce.
Credits to: kawalingpinoy.com