- 1lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs – cut into large bite sized chunks
- 1 yellow onion – diced
- 2 large carrots – sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups chicken broth or kelp stock*
- 3 Yukon Gold potatoes – peeled and cut into large bite sized chunks
- 2-3 cups Napa cabbage (or green cabbage or Savoy cabbage) – roughly chopped
- 2 scallions – sliced diagonally
- 1/4 tsp salt (I used Himalayan Pink Salt)
- 2 tsp rice wine
For the sauce:
- 2.5 tbsp to 3 tbsp Korean chili paste (gochujang)
- 1 tbsp of Season with Spice’s Korean BBQ Blend
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine
- 2 large garlic cloves – minced
- 1 tsp minced ginger (optional)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp fish sauce (optional)
- Easy Spicy Korean Chicken Stew Recipe
- Season the chicken with salt and rice wine. Set aside to marinate for 30 minutes, or overnight.
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the sauce, and mix well.
- Set aside.In a deep sauce pan or wok, heat a tablespoon of oil.
- Add in the yellow onion and cook until softened, but not browned. Turn heat to medium-high, and add in the chicken. Cook until brown on the edges – about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the carrots and sauté for another 2-3 minutes. Finally, stir in the sauce and mix well.
- Pour in the broth/stock over the chicken to just cover them.
- Add in the potato chunks, and bring everything to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Then reduce heat to low, cover pan, and simmer for about 18-20 minutes (depending on the size of the vegetables and meat, cooking time will vary).
- After vegetables are almost tender, remove cover. Taste the stew, and adjust any seasonings if necessary. Turn heat up to medium-high and cook until sauce thickens to desired consistency.
Dish out, and garnish with scallion. Enjoy with steamed rice!
Credits to: blog.seasonwithspice.com