- 2 pkgs. regular or rapid rise yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105−115 degrees)
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk (scalded then cooled)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 5 cups all−purpose flour
- Vegetable oil
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in 2 1/2−quart bowl. Add milk, salt, eggs, shortening, sugar and 2 cups flour. Beat on low speed scraping bowl constantly, 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed scraping bowl occasionally, 2 minutes. Stir in remaining flour until smooth. Cover and let rise in warm place, until double, 50−60 minutes. (Dough is ready when indentation remains when touched.)
- Turn dough onto floured surface; roll around lightly to coat with flour.Gently roll dough1/2−inch thick with floured rolling pin.
- Cut with floured doughnut cutter. Cover and let rise until double, 30−40 minutes. Heat vegetable oil in deep fryer to 350 degrees.
- Slide doughnuts into hot oil with wide spatula. Turn doughnuts as they rise to the surface. Fry until golden brown, about 1 minute on each side.
- Remove carefully from oil (do not prick surface); drain. Dip the doughnuts into creamy glaze, set on rack, then when slightly cooled spread chocolate glaze on top.
- Can dip in sprinkles or other toppings after glazed if desired.
Creamy glaze or Chocolate creamy glaze:
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 4−6 tbsp. hot water
- Heat butter until melted.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Stir in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency. (Add melted chocolate for a chocolate glaze is desired)
Credits to: kariscooking.blogspot.com; ctto