A Classic Filipino bun with a sweet coconut filling. That was originated in Spain.
- 3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- extra flour for dusting
- 1 pack (40 g) instant yeast
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup warm water (110 Degrees F)
- 1 fresh egg, beaten
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup dessicated coconut flakes
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
For egg wash:
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tbsp milk
- In a mixing bowl, combine water, yeast and a tablespoon of sugar. Stir until combined. Set aside in a warm place for bout 5 -10 minutes until foamy and bubbly.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt and the remaining sugar. Pour in beaten egg, warm milk, melted butter and yeast mixture. Mix until dough forms. (Add more water if the dough is too dry and flour if it’s too wet).
- Place the dough on a floured surface. Knead for at least 10 minutes until smooth and elastic ball forms.
- Put the dough in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise in warm place for at least an hour or until doubles its size.
- While the dough is resting, make the filling. In a mixing bowl combine all the filling Ingredients. Set aside.
- After an hour, punch the dough in the middle to let air escape. Place the dough onto floured surface and divide into four equal parts.
- Form each piece into a log shape about 8-9 inches long (like an embutido). Divide the log into 4 individual pieces (Depending on the size of the bread you like).
- Form each piece into a ball. Flatten it using your palm. Roll it out using a rolling pin to 1/8 inch thick and 4-5 inches in diameter.
- Scoop up about 1 tablespoonful of filling and put it in the middle of the dough. Pull up all the edges of the dough, pinch and twist to seal. (Just like making siopao).
- Place pinched side down on a baking pan with a greased baking sheet on the bottom. Make about 1/2 inch spaces between each dough. Let them rest for 20 minutes in a warm place.
- After 20 minutes, lightly brush the tops with an egg wash. (A combination of beaten egg and milk). Bake them in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for at least 20 – 25 minutes or until light brown.
- Remove from oven, serve and enjoy!
Credits to: cooknshare.com