- 2 cups lentils
- 8 cups water, or low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- ½ cup spinach, finely chopped
- 1 potato or 1 sweet potato, cut into small cubes
- 2 Tbsp. canola or olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 whole cloves
- ½ cup parsley, finely chopped and divided
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
- Plain low-fat yogurt (optional)
- Place all ingredients except the parsley, salt, vinegar and yogurt in a large soup pot.
- Bring the soup to a boil and reduce the temperature to a simmer.
- Cover the pot and cook the soup for about one hour, or until lentils are soft.
- Ten minutes before the soup is done, remove the lid and add the salt and vinegar.
- Serve the soup hot, and add a generous spoonful of yogurt to each serving. Sprinkle with the remaining parsley.
Makes seven servings.
Credits to: mystatesman.com