- 2 sticks (220g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 7 oz (200g) plain flour/all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 7 oz (200g) fine or powdered sugar (confectioners sugar or icing sugar)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tablespoons fresh milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease the pan with some butter.
- Mix the flour and the baking powder together and sieve. Add in salt and mix well. Set aside.
- Use an electronic beater to mix butter and sugar until well combined or pale yellow in color. Add in the first egg. Beat well after each addition of egg until creamy. Scrape down the sides and add in vanilla essence and fold in the flour into the mixture and mix well. Finally, add in the milk.
- Divide the batter into two portions. Stir the cocoa powder into one portion and mix well. Transfer the plain batter into the greased baking pan. Shake it lightly to distribute evenly. Pour the cocoa batter in the middle of baking pan, and lightly swirl the cocoa batter with a butter knife. I usually do the “S” shape with the butter knife a couple of times. Do not overmix.
- Bake until golden brown and cooked, about 40 minutes. Insert a cake tester in the middle of the cake to test doneness. Remove it from the oven and let cool on the wire rack for another 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and serve immediately.
Credits to: rasamalaysia.com