- 1 whole chicken
- 2 tbsps. light soy sauce
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tbsp. cooking oil
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- a few slices of ginger
- 3 pandan leaves, knotted
- banana leaves
- aluminum foil
- Mix the soy sauce, salt, garlic powder, turmeric and lime juice. Rub the mixture all over the chicken, including the cavity. Stuff the cavity with the garlic, ginger slices and pandan leaves. Leave to marinade for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F / 200° C.
- Lay the banana leaves on top of a big sheet of aluminum foil. Lay the chicken on top of the banana leaves, rub with the 1 tbsp. of oil and wrap with the leaves then wrap tightly with the sheet of aluminum foil.
- Lay the wrapped chicken on a baking rack in a roasting tin. Add water to the tin so that the drippings don’t burn.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 350° F/ 180° C. The chicken can also be cooked in a lidded barbecue instead of the oven for the last hour. Use a grilling tray so the chicken doesn’t stick to the grilles.
- Let rest before chopping into serving pieces
- Open the chicken parcel. Cook for a further 50-60 minutes, turning at half time to brown the other side of the chicken. Brush with the drippings occasionally.
for the Mango-Lime Chilli sauce:
- 1 1/4 c. pure mango juice
- juice and grated rind of 1 lime
- 5 tsps. white sugar
- 2 tsps. corn flour
- 1 tbsp. water
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 red finger chilli, chopped
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 4 tsps. fish sauce
- Put the mango and lime juice and the sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Stir until the sugar melts.
- Disperse the corn flour in the water and add to the mixture in the saucepan to thicken. Leave to simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, stir and bring back to a boil.
- Take off the heat and transfer to a jug or gravy boat to stop it cooking further.
- Serve with the chicken.
Credits to: kitwai2723.blogspot.com