- 1 Cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 Cup sugar
- 3/4 Cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 Cup cream of corn (in can)
- 2 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- Natural Food coloring
- Fill the pot with enough water so that is just barely reaches the bottom of the steamer basket, bring to a boil.
- Once water boiled, turn the heat to low. Put the steaming rack and cover.
Place flour, cornstarch, sugar and baking powder, in a sieve set over a bowl, sift and set aside.
- Add the evaporated milk and vegetable oil to the sifted ingredients, and blend until the mixture is smooth.
- Add yellow food coloring and cream of corn, mix and blend thoroughly until smooth and free of lumps.
- Grease the prepared puto molder and carefully pour the mixture.
- Place the puto molder into a steamer basket over the steamer and cover with cheesecloth.
- Steam for about 45 minutes or until done.
- Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of puto, and the toothpick comes out clean.
- Leave 1/3 space at the top when pouring the batter in the pan. This is to give the puto space to expand upon cooking.
- Sift your dry ingredients and always add wet to dry ingredients not dry to wet, to avoid any lumps.
- Make sure that the water in the steamer is boiling, before you put your pans filled with batter.
Credits to: pinoyhapagkainan.com/puto-mais