- 2 cups cake flour
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup whole milk or Alaska evaporated filled milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 8 Egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 can Alaska evaporated milk
- 1 can Alaska condensed milk
- 4 egg yolks
- Options: add 2-3 tablespoon of cornstarch to thicken the sauce faster and 2 tablespoon of
- Anchor butter once cooked for more buttery taste
- Put cake flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl, mix and sift.
- In a separate bowl, put together egg yolks, sugar, milk, and lemon essence.
- Beat in slow speed or mix with a wire whisk until mixture is smooth.
- Combine dry and wet mixture, continue mixing until well blended. Set aside.
- On a separate bowl, mix egg whites and cream of tartar.
- Gradually add in sugar and continue to beat until stiff but not dry.
- Add 1/4 of the egg white mixture to flour mixture.
- With spatula, fold the remaining egg white mixture make sure the bottom part is well combined.
- Pour the mixture in ungreased cake pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 325°F for 20-25 minutes.
Yema or Milk Custard frosting:
- In a shallow pan or double boiler, combine the condensed milk, evaporated milk and egg yolks.
- Cook the mixture at low fire, while continuously stirring until the texture becomes thick.
- Slice the chiffon cake in half horizontally, to make two rectangular cake.
- Spread part of Yema frosting at the top of 1st half of Chiffon cake.
- Put back the half of the cake and cover the whole cake with the custard.
- Garnish with grated cheese and serve with hot or cold drinks.
- Put egg whites at room temperature before whipping. Cold egg whites will not peak to foam.
- Make sure that the bowl where you put your egg whites is void of any oil. Put vinegar in a tissue and wipe it clean. Any oil will make the egg whites watery.
- All-purpose flour can be a substitute for cake flour, The cake will become a bit granulated.
- No need to grease your pan but you can line the pan with a wax paper for easy removal of the cake.
- Put coffee or chocolate powder into the chiffon cake for other flavor and omit the lemon essence.
- Instead of cheese, you can use grated chocolate, almond or coconut flakes.
Credits to: jingerville.wordpress.com/2014/10/05/yummy-yema-cake