- 8 cups drinking water
- 1 bar gulaman (agar-agar), flaked (or 1 tbsp. gelatin powder)
- 1-1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dried tapioca pearls (sago), boiled (yield 2 cups)
- ice cubes
- Prepare the Gulaman (Jelly):
- In a saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add the gulaman (agar-agar) flakes; stir constantly over low heat until flakes are completely melted (if using gelatin powder, stir until the powder is completely dissolved). Transfer to a tray (or baking dish); set aside to cool at room temperature. When cooled, it should be firm; cut into small dice using a knife.
- Prepare the Sugar Syrup (arnibal):
- In the same saucepan, bring the remaining water to a boil. Add the sugar; stir constantly over medium heat for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Place cooked tapioca pearls and jelly in glasses. Pour the syrup into the glasses; top with ice cubes as desired. Alternatively, place them to a punch bowl with lots of ice cubes on top.
Serves 4 to 6.
Credits to: filipinorecipesite.com/filipino-dessert-recipes/sago-at-gulaman-drink.html