If you tried making siopao before and it turned out brown in color and not white. This is the recipe that will make it immaculately white, fluffy, delicious like Chowking Siopao.
For the Dough:
- 3 cups dumpling flour (or all purpose flour) + ½ cup for dusting
- 1 cup warm water
- ½ cup + 2 tsp white sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp shortening or vegetable oil (use shortening to make it whiter in colour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tbsp active dry yeast
- ¼ cup lukewarm water
For the Filling
- 500g pork mince (previously steamed for 30 minutes)
- 4 pcs dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated and chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 tsp brown sugar
- 4 tsp sesame oil
Water for Steaming
- 1 tbsp of vinegar per litre of water, for steaming
- Mix all filling ingredients together then set aside.
- Mix together yeast, 2 tsp sugar, and ¼ cup lukewarm water. Set aside in a warm location for 30 minutes.
- Mix remaining ingredients except for the baking powder then knead dough until dough surface is smooth and texture is elastic; occasionally dust the board with dumpling flour. Place in a greased bowl then place in a warm location, set aside for 2 hours.
- After two hours the size would be doubled.
- Deflate dough then spread on floured board.
- Add the baking powder evenly then knead for 5 minutes.
- Divide into 10 – 12 pieces then roll them thin, place a tablespoon of the filling mixture in the middle then seal them on top, place buns in a greased paper. Do with the remaining dough and filling.
- Set aside in a warm location for 30 minutes.
- Prepare your steamer by pouring water and vinegar. Vinegar will make sure your buns are white.
- Place buns into steamer container then steam siopao for 20-25 minutes.
Credits to: angsarap.net/2012/10/26/siopao-bola-bola