- 1 kilo pork spareribs, cut into serving pieces
- 100-150 grams pork liver, pre-boiled, mashed into smooth paste
- 2-3 medium sized potato, peeled quartered
- 1 large size carrot, peeled, cut into wedges
- 2 medium size green bell pepper, cut into strips or wedges
- 1/2 head garlic, chopped
- 3 large size onion, chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp. peanut butter
- 1 small can sliced pineapple, cut into small pieces, reserve syrup
- 1/2 block cheddar cheese, grated
- 1-2 tsp. chili flakes
- 2-3 tsp. paprika
- 4-6 pcs. bay leaf
- 1/2 tbsp. crushed peppercorns
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- salt and pepper
- cooking oil
- Place the pork in a big bowl, mixed in the vinegar and add 1 tsp. of salt and few dashes pepper, let marinate for at least 5 to 10 minutes. Drain marinade, and set aside.
- In a frying pan stir fry meat in batches until all side are seared, set aside.
- In a big sauce pan, sauté garlic and onion until fragrant. Add in the liver paste and continue to stir cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in the seared pork and stir cook for another 3 to 5 minutes. Add in the fish sauce, tomato sauce, paprika, crushed peppercorns, and chili flakes, continue to stir cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add 1 to 2 cups of water, reserved pineapple syrup and bay leaf, bring to a boil and simmer at low to medium heat for 20 to 30 minutes or until the meat are tender, add more water as necessary.
- Add in the potato, carrot, and peanut butter, continue to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Next, add in the grated cheddar cheese, and correct saltines if required. Thicken sauce with cornstarch diluted in 1/4 cup of water.
- Finaly, add in the pineapple, bell pepper and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes more.
Serve hot with lots of rice. Enjoy!
Credits to: overseaspinoycooking.com/2012/09/special-pork-kaldereta-recipe.html