Yield: 1 dozen
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 4 or 4-1/2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/4 cups warm water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Soften yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in lukewarm water. Set aside for from 10 to 15 minutes.
- Mix together sugar, salt, and oil in a bowl. Add softened yeast. Add half of the flour and mix well.
- Add remaining flour and continue mixing till well blended; knead on floured board until smooth.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place in a greased bowl. Grease surface of dough. Let rise for from 30 to 40 minutes in a warm place.
- Punch down dough, divide it into desired sizes, form into balls and let them rise again for 30 minutes.Flatten dough pieces.
- Spoon prepared gluten filling, sweet ground munggo, pineapple or any desired filling (may be an assortment of vegetables including mushrooms, cabbage, leek, and other favorites) into the center.
- Seal dough and shape into small balls. Place a piece of clean paper at the bottom of the balls to prevent them from sticking to the steamer.
- Let the balls rise for from 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until double in bulk. Steam for from 10 to 15 minutes. (Period of steaming depends on the size.).
Credits to: filveggie.com