- 2 1/2 lbs. beef round roast, fat trimmed and thinly sliced into bite-size pieces
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 4 cups boiling water
- 2 onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 1-2 green, red, yellow bell peppers, thinly sliced into sticks
- 6 large ribs pechay / bok choy, sliced with leaves
- 6 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 8 oz. cans sliced water chestnuts, drained (reserve juice)
- 5 oz. cans bamboo shoots, sliced (reserve juice)
- 8 oz. cans sliced mushrooms, drained (reserve juice)
- Oil, as needed
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 tbsp. fresh grated ginger
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- In a large stock pot, brown meat well with the garlic and tamari sauce. Add 4 cups of boiling water. Simmer meat for 30-45 minutes. Prepare vegetables by washing, slicing, or draining as needed.
- Cook rice according to package instructions. While rice is cooking, heat a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Add a tablespoon or two of oil, and stir-fry the vegetables one at a time until crisp-tender: onions, carrots, celery, peppers, and pechay or bok choy (but not the bean sprouts or canned vegetables).
- After the vegetable is crisp tender, put it into a heat-safe bowl (not in the pan with the meat) while you continue cooking the other vegetables. When vegetables are all crisp-tender, add all vegetables to the meat (still simmering).
- Add the beef bouillon, ginger, and brown sugar. Add salt to taste. Whisk together the reserved juice from the canned vegetables and the cornstarch.
- Add to the hot beef mixture and cook and stir to thicken slightly. Serve with noodles or steamed rice.
For the Crispy Fried Noodles:
- 8 oz cooked egg noodles
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Separate noodles and then form into a round disc. Add 1 tbsp of oil into a large wok or a large pan that can fit the entire noodle disc (you want to choose a pot that won’t stick and burn. It works well in a nonstick wok. It also works in an enamel Dutch oven). Turn heat to medium high. Once oil is heated, place noodle disc in. Let it cook slowly until noodles turn brown and crispy at the bottom. Remove the noodles in one piece, using two spatulas.
- Add another 1 tbsp of oil into the pan. Place noodles back into pan, this time with the non-crispy side face-down. Cook until bottom is crispy.
- Remove from pan and place onto a plate. Topped with Beef Chopsuey!
Credits to: pillsburry.com ; kirbiecravings.com