Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 tablespoon of dry active yeast
- 1/3 cup sugar, plus more for coating doughnuts
- 3 1/4 cups flour, plus more for rolling and shaping
- 1 egg
- 4 Tbsp. softened butter
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Vegetable oil, canola oil, or lard for frying
- Dissolve yeast in 1 cup of warm water. Let sit about 5 minutes until the yeast foams a bit (so you know it’s active).
- Beat in 2 cups of the flour, sugar, egg, butter, and salt. Add the remaining 1 1/4 cup flour 1/4 cup at a time until the dough starts pulling away from the sides of the bowl.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel and let sit in a warm place until the dough doubles in bulk, about 2 hours. Alternatively, you can chill the dough overnight.
Punch down the dough and turn it onto a floured surface.
- Roll dough to about 1/2-inch thick and use a large round biscuit cutter (a drinking glass works too) to cut circles and a smaller round cutter to cut out the holes. Obviously, if you are lucky enough to be in possession of a doughnut cutter, go ahead and use that!
Cover doughnuts (and holes) and let rise until puffy looking, about 2 hours. Alternatively, you can put the cut doughnuts on floured baking sheets, cover, and chill the cut dough overnight.
- Heat an inch or two of oil or lard in a large heavy pot to 350 – 375 degrees. Set a cooling rack over a baking sheet and put them near the pot.
- Put about a cup of sugar in a medium bowl and have that handy as well.
- Add 3 or 4 doughnuts (or 8 to 10 doughnut holes) to the oil. They should sizzle immediately as you add them to the fat. Cook doughnuts until light brown on one side.
- Use tongs or a slotted spoon to flip the doughnuts, cook until the second side is light brown.
- Transfer cooked doughnuts to cooling rack and let cool/drain for a few minutes.
- Dip doughnuts into sugar to coat. Repeat with remaining doughnuts.
- Serve warm if at all possible.
Makes about 18 homemade doughnuts and doughnut holes.
Credits to: food.com/recipe/homemade-doughnuts-501508