- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup of white sugar
- 1 tsp of pure vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 5- 1/2 cups of fine semolina
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1/3 cup of plain yogurt
- blanched split almonds or nuts of your choice
- 2 cups of white sugar
- 1- 3/4 cups of water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice / 1 tbsp rose water
- Cream the butter, sugar, vanilla essence until light and creamy.
- Add the eggs between while adding each one.
- Sift the semolina, baking powder, and bicarb soda, and add it into the butter mixture. Mix gently.
- Stir in the yogurt. Spread the mixture into an 8″x12″ cake pan. Place the almonds in rows and bake at 350F/180C for 30-35 minutes or until done.
- Meanwhile, prepare the syrup. Dissolve the sugar in the water over medium heat. Add lemon juice and bring to boil. Keep it aside to cool.
- Remove the cake and pour the sugar syrup over the cake evenly. Cut the cake into square or diamond shapes.
- desiccated coconut is also added to basbousa in certain regions around the Middle East You can add about 1 – 1/4 of coconut along with semolina to the butter mixture.
Credits to: cukzy.com