- 700g beef sirloin (sliced about 1/4 inch thick, you may request the butcher to do this for you)
- 4-6 pcs Pork Sausage/ Frankfurter cut into strips
- 2 hard boiled eggs, quartered each
- 2-4 whole pickles cut into strips
- 4 carrot sticks
- cheese slices (sticks)
- 200g tomato sauce
- 85g liver spread (1 small can)
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- beef broth (or beef cube dissolved in about 500ml of water)
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple – for a twist!
- 2 bay leaves
- ground peppercorn , to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- ¼ cup calamansi juice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- Kitchen Strings
- Kitchen Mallet
- Pound meat to flatten with a mallet or flat size of a cleaver.
- Flatten to make a sheet like meat and even out.
- Combine all marinade ingredients. Marinate beef at least 2 hrs or more.
- Remove beef from marinade.
- Place the meat in a flat surface, then layer the stuffing – hotdogs,carrots, eggs and pickles in one side. Roll the meat once, then layer with cheese sticks. Roll again.
- Secure the meat with a string. I made two rolls with the ingredients above, if you want a bigger and thicker rolls, you can make just one beef roll instead, or use about a kilo of beef (I used only 750g).
- Dredge Beef roll into flour.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Brown the beef roll. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add the tomato sauce, liver spread, crushed pineapple. Let it boil.
- Add the broth and bay leaves.
- Add the beef rolls, grated cheese and peppercorn. Cover and simmer for 1 to 2 hrs. No need to add salt since the cheese gave enough flavor. No need for cornstarch since the sauce is thick already. Reduce the sauce as preferred.
- When cooked, remove the rolls from the pan. Let it cool down for about 5 minutes, remove strings then slice. Serve in a plate with the sauce. Garnish.
Credits to: pinoykitchenette.com