- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 6 cloves minced garlic
- 2 (28-ounce) cans Roma plum tomatoes, broken into pieces, with juice
- 1 cup tightly packed, pitted, and halved Kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 2 tablespoons minced anchovy fillets (about 8 fillets)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound penne pasta, cooked to al dente
- In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and saute until soft and lightly caramelized, about 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and the remaining ingredients and simmer until the sauce is thickened and slightly reduced, about 40 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning, to taste, cover and set aside.
- Add penne pasta to the pan and toss for 1 minute.
- Serve immediately with a chunk of warm Italian bread and a green salad.
Credits to: foodnetwork.com