- Butter, for greasing
- 125 gram caster sugar
- 100 gram brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 240ml vegetable oil
- 200 gram self raising flour
- 75gram cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons natural yogurt, plain
Salted caramel filling:
- 250 gram unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 500 gram icing sugar – if too sweet for your liking, reduced it
- 3 tablespoons caramel sauce
Chocolate fudge topping:
- 200 gram dark chocolate
- 125 ml double cream
- 2 tablespoons caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Butter two round cake tins and line the bottom of each with parchment paper.
- Beat the caster sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla essence together until creamy. Slowly add the vegetable oil and mix it well.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and stir together with spatula. Add a pinch of salt and stir in the yogurt, mix well.
- Divide the mixture equally into the prepared baking tins and bake for 30 minutes, checking after 25 minutes to see whether a cocktail stick comes out clean. Once cooked, take it out from the oven and leave it to cool.
- Beat the butter until soft and a little fluffy. Carefully add the icing sugar a little at a time and keep mixing until the whole amount is added in. Add the caramel sauce and a pinch of salt and mix in well.
- Melt the chocolate by using double boiling method. Once melted, take off the heat and stir in the cream and the caramel.
- Once the sponges are completely cool, put the first layer directly onto a serving plate and pour over the chocolate fudge filling and spread it evenly. Then, pipe the cream ( it is much easier to use piping bag) onto the chocolate filling. Then put another layer of sponge cake and pour over the chocolate fudge filling. Spread evenly.
Credits to: greatbritishchefs.com