- A slab of pork with fat
- Crushed garlic
- ½ cup of soy sauce
- 1 cup of fruit cocktail syrup
- A dash of salt (optional)
- 2 tbsp sugar (optional)
- Spring onion, cut into small ringlets for garnishing (optional)
- Drop pork slab into a large saucepan with just enough boiling water to cover and simmer.
- Skim the surface until the broth is clear.
- Simmer for an hour then pour in soy sauce, fruit syrup and all the other ingredients.
- Simmer with lid closed over low fire, turning the meat from time to time, for hours or until the rind quite literally melts in your mouth.
- Leave little sauce to moist the meat. Slice and serve with rice and blanched vegetables.
If you don’t have fruit cocktail syrup, replace it with fruit juice (orange, pineapple, apple or tropical will do) or just vinegar and probably more sugar.
Credits to: atasteofmylife.com