Yield: 12 BUNS
Prep Time: 3.5 HOURS
Cook Time: 15 MINUTES
Total Time: 3H 45MIN
- 400g All purpose flour
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 200ml milk or water +/- 10ml
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 90g sugar
- 2g salt
- 3 drop red food dye
- 4 drop yellow food dye
- black sesame seeds
To make the basic dough, combine all basic dough ingredients in a stand mixer. Mix and knead until the dough surface becomes smooth. About 10 minutes. If working with instant yeast, first proof the yeast in warm milk, then mix with the rest of the ingredients.
- In a workstation, cut out about 60g/2oz of dough and put it back to the mixer. Add yellow food dye and knead until the food dye is evenly and fully incorporated with the dough. Place the yellow dough in a small bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Return the rest of the dough back to the mixer. Add red food dye and knead until the dough turns uniformly pink. Place the red dough in a container and cover with plastic wrap.
- Once the dough doubles in size, about 1 hour depending on the room temperature, place both portions of dough on the workstation and let it deflate.
- Roll the pink dough into a smooth long log. Cut into 12 portions.
- Divide the yellow dough into two portions.
- Roll one portion into a long log. Roll the other portion into a flat sheet using a dough roller.
- Cut the long log into small portions ¼” in length for the noses. Cut the flat dough into small triangles for the ears.
- Roll each portion of pink dough into a round ball using your ball. Try to make the surface of the ball as smooth as you can. Lightly brush the ball with some water.
- Use a pair of chopsticks or tweezers to carefully place the ears and nose onto each round ball.
- Then gently poke the nose with two toothpicks.Lastly, place two black sesame seeds between the years and nose as the eyes.
- Transfer the piggy dough into a steamer and let them proof in room temperature until almost double in size. About 45-60 minutes. Steam over high heat for 11 minutes. Turn off the heat and keep the lid on for another 2 minutes. Serve these steamed piggy buns hot either plain or dipped in sweetened condensed milk.
Credits to: yireservation.com