- Popcorn – 10 cups ( approx ) ( microwave oven)
- Granulated white sugar – 1 cup
- Dark brown sugar – 3/4 cup
- Light corn syrup – 1/2 cup
- Water -1/4 cup
- Butter – 1/4 cup
- Baking soda- 3/4 tsp
- Salt – 2 pinch ( if required )
- Make popcorn as per instruction in the packet and spread it on a greased baking tray.
- In a heavy deep bottom dish add all the ingredients except baking soda and start cooking it
- Boil the mixture over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until the temperature reaches the hard crack stage , it takes 7 to 10 minutes ( Brush down the sides of the pan, with a heatproof pastry brush that has been dipped in warm water, to remove any sugar crystals that may have formed on the sides of the dish .
- Then remove the dish from the heat and carefully stir in the baking soda. (The caramel will foam up when you add the baking soda so be very careful.) Pour the caramel over the popcorn and toss well to evenly coat all the popcorn (use two heatproof spatulas or wooden spoons that have been lightly buttered or sprayed with a non stick spray )
- Cool it and store in air tight container and it stays fresh up to one week .
Note : To find out the hard crack stage drop the sugar syrup in a cup of water and you can see it forming a hard ball or use a candy thermometer ( 149 C or 300F )
To get sticky caramel popcorn, remove from fire in the hard ball stage .
It will take approximately 20 minutes or so to make popcorns.
Credits to: allrecipes.com