- 115 grams mochiko (Japanese glutinous rice flour)
- 100 grams cornstarch
- 180 millilitres Water
- 100 grams sugar + 60 grams sugar
- 2 purple yams cooked, peeled and mashed
- Purple food colouring (optional)
- Steam the yam cubes until very tender. Mash them until smooth, then stir in 100g of sugar until completely dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Mix mochiko and 60g of sugar then combine with water and purple food colouring. Cover the bowl with cling film and poke one hole in it with a fork. Microwave on high (1100w) for one minute, remove and stir with a spatula, then microwave for one more minute. Stir again, then microwave for 30 seconds. The dough should now be translucent. Give it one last stir.
- Dust your work surface, hands and a rolling pin generously with cornstarch or potato starch. Roll out the mochi dough to around 1cm thickness. Dust the top with starch. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for 15 mins.
- After 15 mins, take the mochi dough out and lay it out on your work surface. Cut out circles using a cookie cutter, then fill with one scoop of the ube filling. Seal it up and make sure it’s completely dusted with starch. Keep in the refrigerator until serving.
Credits to: asianfoodchannel.com