Green onion (or scallion) bread, originated from Taiwan, is a popular savory soft bread in Chinese bakeries.
Most soft bread and buns popular in China are for sweet teeth. But the savory group never lose audience. I develop this savory bread based on our soft milk bread, only changed the amount of sugar and salt. The method is quite easy and quick. There is no need to make the roux. But the bread comes out super delicious with a light and fluffy texture.
In addition to the savory green onion on top, I also add pork sung (肉松) as a filling. In China, we love to add pork sung to pastry, bread or cake rolls. It brings bonus to both taste and texture
Green onion can always be amazing when heat with flour, just think of the famous Chinese scallion pancakes. After baking, the chopped green onion becomes crunchy, which is quite interesting when eating.
- 300g (2 and ⅓ cup,without shifting the flour) bread flour
- 25g (scant 2 tbsp.)sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 smaller egg
- 160g milk (3.5% fat)
- 1 and ½ teaspoon yeast
- 30g (2 tbsp.) unsalted butter at room temperature
- Sweet Mayonnaise
- 1 cup pork sung (肉松),homemade orstore-bought
Green onion mixture
- 1 cup finely chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a stand mixer, add all the ingredients of the dough expect butter, knead on low speed for 5-7 minutes.
- Add softened butter in; continue kneading for another 7 to 10 minutes until you get a smooth, elastic and soft dough. transfer the dough out to a slightly floured board after 5 minutes and smash it against the operating board, grab it up and smash again. Repeat this process for 2-3 minutes and shape into a round ball. This can help to strong the gluten. Place in a large bowl and cover with a plastic wrapper and set aside until it is doubled in size. If you need help for this process, check milk bread.
- Knead the dough again to remove the air inside and then further divide into 12 portions. Take one out, press down and roll out to a larger wrapper. Spread a thin layer of sweet Mayonnaise and then place 1 tablespoon of pork sung in. Wrapper well and then re-shape into a ball. Place it in a lined baking tray. Repeat to finish all the others.
- Important tip for the second proof : place the baking tray in your oven with a large bowl of hot water inside. Close your oven door and wait until all the balls are at least doubled in size.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 degree C (350 degree F) . Mix green onion with ¼ teaspoon of ground white pepper, ¼ teaspoon of salt and olive oil. Brush a thin layer of egg wash on surface and then spread the green onion on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes on middle rack
Credits to: chinasichuanfood.com