- 5 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 120g castor sugar
- 85ml corn oil (or any neutral flavour oil like canola and grapeseed)
- 130ml whole fresh milk,
- 30g Dutch-processed cocoa powder (I use Valrhona cocoa powder)
- 160g cake flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder (optional, just to ensure the lift. but I have baked without the baking powder and it works just as fine.)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 large egg whites, room temperature
- 90g castor sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius. Have your chiffon cake tin mould ready. Do not grease it!
- Let’s start with Group A ingredients. Separate the egg whites and the egg yolks. Ensure that there is no trace of yolk in the whites. Allow them to come to room temperature. This is especially important for the egg whites to be whisked to their peaks.
- Start with the group A ingredients as we only want to whisk the egg whites when everything else is done. If not, the egg whites will start to deflate.
- In the bowl containing the yolks, add in sugar and whisk until light and pale. This can be done with a hand whisk. We just need some aeration in the yolks. Add in the oil and whisk until incorporated.
- Add the milk into the yolk mixture and whisk. Then, measure and sift your dry ingredients and whisk into the yolk mixture.
Credits to: jothetartqueen.wordpress.com