TRY THIS DELICIOUS CHICKEN ESTOFADO RECIPE
- 1 whole chicken or leg quarters (at least 1 kilo)
For main cooking:
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 Tbsp light olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium-sized onion, sliced
- ½ cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 medium-sized potatoes, quartered
- 2 medium sized carrots, sliced in about ½ inch think diagonals
- 3 plantain bananas, sliced
- Pineapple slice, reserved syrup for marinate
- 2 Tbsp muscovado sugar or brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup cane vinegar
- ½ cup sprite
- Pineapple syrup reserved
- Salt and pepper
- Rub chicken with salt, pepper. Then, marinate with cane vinegar, sprite, pineapple juice, crushed garlic and soy sauce. Let it sit overnight if possible or at least 30 minutes. The longer the better. Drain and reserve marinade.
- In a large pan over medium heat, brown potatoes,carrots and bananas in light olive oil. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, using low heat lightly brown chicken (on both sides). Remove from pan and set aside.
- Saute garlic, onion and tomatoes in the same pan until tomatoes are soft. Add marinade and sugar. Season with salt and black pepper to suit your taste. Bring to a boil.
- Using low heat, add back the chicken in the sauce. Cover pot and simmer for 30 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Add carrots potatoes and bay leaves. Simmer without cover for another 5 minutes or until carrots are cooked.
- Transfer chicken, potatoes and carrots to a serving plate. Place fried banana plantains on the side together with pineapple slices. Pour sauce on it.
Serve with hot rice. Enjoy!
You may also add your choice of alternate ingredients for bananas: olives, raisins, bell pepper. To add a kick of spiciness, add one or two chilis.
Credits to: pinaycookingcorner.com