This leche flan is super budget friendly. Ideal for people who just wants to cook it with limited budget and just for regular desserts at home. Not recommended for special occasion or special orders. This is not a special version. If you want Special Leche Flan please look for the special version recipe where we used pure egg yolks.
I only spent 12 pesos to buy 2 eggs from the store when I made this. Other ingredients is readily available from my kitchen, such as milk and vanilla essence and sugar.
- 2 Large whole Eggs (egg whites included)
- 1 Cup water + 3-6 Tbsp Milk Powder (dilute)
- 3-6 Tbsp white sugar (leche flan mixture)
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar for Lanera caramel
- Vanilla Flavor, optional (alternative: dayap or calamansi)
- Add more powdered milk to make it creamy.
- Adjust sugar base on your sweet tooth preference.
- You can use any milk powder like bear breand or nido
- Dissolve Milk powder in 1 cup water (it becomes 1 cup of milk)
- Mix 2 whole eggs and beat well until smooth. Beat it as many as you can or use a mixer if you have one, or use a blender. But do not over do it of course. Mix drops of vanilla flavoring.
- Strain in sieve for 3 to 5 times. Check if there is plenty of bubbles, not too much bubbles or big bubbles are not so ideal. Set aside.
- Prepare caramel in Lanera. Caution it’s hot, please use kitchen tongs. Put 2 tbsp sugar in your lanera and heat in lowest fire until sugar is dissolved and becomes caramel, tilt lanera to evenly spread in sugar caramel. Set aside to cool.
- Pour Egg mixture in your lanera and steam for 20-30 mins. Don’t forget to cover your lanera with aluminum foil or plastic tightened with rubber band.
- How to check if it’s already cooked. Insert toothpick in center of plan, if toothpick comes out clean from the center of leche flan. Remove from steam and let it cool. 😃
Yield: 1 Lanera (medium)
Credits to: Mama’s Guide Recipes