Good for 4 servings.
- 3 cups rice wash
- 150-180 grams tamarind fruit (sampalok)
- 1 large plump tomato, quartered
- 1 medium red onion, quartered
- 1/2 kilo of smooth-tailed trevally (salay-salay)
- 2 pcs finger chilis
- 2 tsps iodized coarse salt
- In a claypot or earthpot, put the 2/3 of rice wash, tamarind fruit, tomato and onion. Cover. Place over medium-high fire. Bring to boil. Lower heat to medium and bubble away for 15 minutes.
- Increase fire to medium-heat, gently put the fish one by one, arrange it properly. Add the chilis and salt. Put the rest of the rice wash. Swirl and shake the pot carefully to blend fully all the ingredients. Put the lid on. Bring to boil. Then, let it boil for a minute.
Serve hot and with warm cooked rice and fish sauce, for your dip.
Credits to: dcookingmudra.blogspot.com/2007/11/pangat-na-salay-salay-sa-sampalok.html?m=1