This chocolate cream pie can stand longer than any regular whipped cream, so you dont have to worry that it will melt easily.
- 1 2/3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch (I used 4)
- 5 tablespoons cocoa (I used 5 very rounded)
- 1 (14 ounce) can eagle brand sweetened condensed milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
or you can just buy
- 1 (9 inch) baked pastry shell (or follow graham crust below)
For the Graham Pie crust:
- 1 1/2 cups finely ground graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
For the Stabilized Whipped Cream:
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Prepare Graham Pie Crust:
- Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar, melted butter or margarine, and cinnamon until well blended .
- Press mixture into the bottom of an 8 or 9 inch spring form pan. (bottom crust only) Chill for 1 hour.
Make chocolate mixture:
- Mix water and cornstarch and cocoa until smooth.
- Sir in Eagle Brand milk and egg yolks.
- Cook until thick in saucepan stirring constantly.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons butter.
- Add vanilla. (Mixture might be very lumpy – keep stirring and this will eventually become smooth)
- Pour on top of the crust. Place plastic wrap evenly over entire surface of pie and let cool. Place in refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
Prepare Whipped Cream:
- Chill mixing bowl and beaters for at least 15 minutes before using.
- Place water in a small microwave-safe bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over water and allow to soften 5 minutes.
- Dissolve gelatin by microwaving for 3 minutes, stirring after every minute. Remove from microwave and let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes;
- gelatin must be liquid but not warm when added to cream.
- Remove bowl and beaters from refrigerator and pour in cream, sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Beat together just until beater marks begin to show distinctly.
- Add gelatin mixture to cream, pouring in a steady stream while beating constantly.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Pour the whipped cream on top of the chocolate to form the third layer. (Leave extra for decoration)
- Decorate your chocolate pie with whipped cream on the rim using a pipe and sprinkle grated chocolate or mini kisses on the side.
Chill before serving. Enjoy!