- 1/4 kg large shrimp with heads and shells
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2kg ground pork
- 1 tablespoon achuete seeds soaked in ½ cup hot water for 20 minutes and drained
- 2 tablespoons sweet potato starch or cornstarch mixed with ¼ cup cold water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2kg dry tubular rice noodles, soaked in warm water for 15 minutes
- ½ cup cooking oil
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- ¾ cup ½ -inch pieces firm tofu (about 6 ounces), patted dry
- 12 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 large hard boiled eggs, shelled and cut into wedges
- ½ cup flaked smoked trout
- 4 scallions, chopped
- Lime or lemon wedges for serving
- Fish sauce for serving
- For the shrimp juice, cut the heads off the shrimp and peel off the shells. Place the heads and shells in a food processor with 1 cup water. Process until the heads and shells have broken down. Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer, pressing down on the solids to remove all the juice. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Coarsely chop the shrimp bodies and set aside.
- To prepare the sauce, heat the oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for about 3 minutes, until softened. Add the pork and cook until it turns white, about 5 minutes. Add the shrimp juice, achuete water and sweet potato starch mixture. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook for 3 minutes, or until they turn pink. Add the salt and pepper to taste.. Set the sauce aside while you prepare the garnishes.
- To prepare the garnishes, in a small nonstick skillet over low heat, warm the oil. Add the garlic slices and cook over low heat until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the garlic to a paper towel-lined plate. Raise the heat to medium-high and add tofu squares. Fry for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp on all sides. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the tofu to a paper towel-lined plate. Bring a large sauce pan of water to a boil, add the shrimp and cook until they turn pink and are cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the rice noodles and cook until softened, about 5 minutes, depending on the size of the noodles. Drain.
- To serve, place the noodles in a serving bowl. Briefly reheat the sauce and pour it over noodles. Arrange the garnishes on top and serve with lime wedges and fish sauce on the side.
Credits to: kainklab.wordpress.com/2015/04/17/pancit-palabok-luglug