Total time required 35 mins
Preparation time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
- 3 large eggs
- 75g caster sugar
- 50g plain flour
- 25g cocoa powder, plus extra to dust
- 75g butter, at room temperature
- 125g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas 6). Sit a large heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, add the eggs and sugar, and whisk for 5–10 minutes or until the mixture is thick and creamy. Sift in the flour and cocoa powder and fold in gently with a metal spoon.
- Line the Swiss roll tin with baking parchment, then pour the mixture into the tin and level the top. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the sponge is springy to the touch. Remove from the oven, cover with a damp tea towel, and leave to cool.
- Turn the sponge out onto a sheet of greaseproof paper dusted with cocoa powder. Put the butter in a mixing bowl and beat with an electric hand whisk until creamy. Whisk in the icing sugar a little at a time, then spread the mixture over the top of the sponge. Using the greaseproof paper to help you, roll the sponge up, starting from one of the short sides. Dust with more cocoa powder, if needed, and serve.
Credits to: pikachakula.com/recipe/chocolate-and-buttercream-swiss-roll