Makes 1 large trifle, or 6 minis
FOR THE BROWNIES
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 rolls of Rolos Candies (about 18 candies), quartered, plus 2 1/2 more rolls, chopped
- (leaving one whole Rolo per trifle for garnish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour and 8 x 8 inch glass baking dish; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cocoa powder, flour, salt, and baking powder; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Once melted, remove from heat and whisk in the sugar until combined.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla.
- Whisk in the dry ingredients until combined and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Evenly distribute the Rolos over the top of the batter.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with a few crumbs clinging to it. Allow brownies to cool completely before serving or cutting into bite sized pieces.
FOR THE CARAMEL
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup (or agave syrup)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, crushed (optional, but I do recommend at least 1/2 teaspoon for more depth)
- Place the sugar, water, and corn syrup in a small saucepan, stirring to combine. Without stirring, bring to a boil over high heat, swirling the ingredients in the pan occasionally.
- Continue boiling until the mixture reaches an amber color, about 10 minutes (although this varies, depending on your stove). Remove from heat and very carefully (the mixture will quickly expand and sputter) add the cream in a slow steady stream, being sure to stir constantly.
- Once combined, add the salt and butter and continue stirring until both are completely melted and combined. Cool to room temperature before using.
FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 to 4 tablespoons (25 to 50 grams) sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, or the bowl of a standing mixer, whip the heavy cream and cocoa powder on medium high speed until it starts to thicken. Reduce speed to low and sprinkle the sugar into the cream. Turn mixer to high and continue whipping until firm peaks form. Stir in vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Assemble trifles: Layer the bottom of your trifle dish with whipped cream, cover with a layer of bite sized brownie pieces and some chopped Rolos, drizzle with caramel, and repeat until the bowl is filled and you’ve used all of your ingredients. Garnish with chopped Rolos, more caramel, and whole Rolos on top.
Credits to: bakingdom.com