- 10 egg yolks
- 1 condensed milk (300mL)
- 1 evaporated milk (370mL)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cake flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoon purple yam flavoring
- Separate egg yolks to whites, use yolk in this recipe.
- In a bowl, mix together yolks and condensed milk until combined.
- Add evaporated milk, stir gently and thoroughly until incorporated.
- In a sauce pan mix water and the brown sugar. Bring to boil, until the sugar caramelize.
- Pour caramel into the moulds, and spread on the bottom. Let it cool.
- Gently strain the custard mixture, fill the moulds to 1-1/4 inch thick.
PURPLE (ube) YAM CAKE
- Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda in a sieve.
- Strain all the dry ingredients in large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Combine sugar in melted butter and mix well to dissolve.
- Take purple yam powder and milk in a cup and mix well
- Combine flour, eggs, melted butter, purple yam mixture in a bowl and mix well.
- Cover the flan with aluminium foil and rest for 20 minutes.
- Steam for 20 minutes in high fire and 40 on low or until done.
- Once the flan is done, pour the cake mixture on top, cover with aluminium foil.
- Steam for another 35 minutes or until cake is done.
- Remove from the steamer and set aside to cool.
- Trim the top of the cake with serrated knife to flatten.
- Run a knife around the flan, then invert onto a platter.
- Stir the flan mixture gently and thoroughly, to avoid bubbles on the mixture.
- For strong purple yam flavor, you can add another teaspoon.
- To make cake flour from all purpose flour; remove 2 tablespoon of flour in 1 cup of all purpose flour and replace with 2 tablespoon of cornstarch.
Credits to: pinoyhapagkainan.com