KFC Original-Style Chicken Recipe – A homemade version of KFC’s 11 original-style fried chicken.
- 1 whole chicken (2 breasts, 2 thighs, 2 drumsticks, 2 wings)
- 2 quarts neutral oil, for frying
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Preheat fryer to 350º F. Mix together spice mix well.
- Combine spice mix with flour, brown sugar and salt.
- Dip chicken pieces in egg white to lightly coat them, then transfer to flour mixture. Turn a few times and make sure the flour mix is really stuck to the chicken. Repeat with all the chicken pieces.
- Let chicken pieces rest for 5 minutes so crust has a chance to dry a bit.
- Fry chicken in batches. Breasts and wings should take 12-14 minutes and legs and thighs will need a few more minutes. I always recommend testing the chicken with a meat thermometer (it should reach 165º F in the thickest part of the chicken).
- Let chicken drain on a few paper towels when it comes out of the fryer.
credits to: tablespoon.com