- 2 pounds pork belly
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 cups pineapple juice
- 1 cup pineapple tidbits
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1/2 packet Mama Sita Tocino mix (optional)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
- Combine the brown sugar, a cup of the pineapple juice, half of the packet of Mama Sita tocino mix and paprika. Pour over the pork belly. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, pour everything in a heavy stock pot and add the rest of the pineapple juice, pineapple tidbits, bouillon cube and seasonings.
- Boil the meat mixture and then lower to a slow simmer. Cook for about 1 and 1/2 hours or till meat is tender. The meat will look soft and shiny, like cured meat.
- Serve hot and garnish with pineapple slices with fresh lettuce, strawberries and fresh blackberries on the side.
Cooks Note: Pork belly is the meat cut that is used for bacon. If less fat in the meat is desired, try using the pork shoulder cut instead. It is important that the pork is marinated overnight or it will not have the desired results. Also, this dish travels well because the sugars act as preservatives. One can make this ahead and bring to potlucks or away events.
Credits to: CTTO