Serves 2 people
- 8 oz dry skinny rice sticks
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz shelled and deveined shrimp
- 2 oz fried tofu, cut into pieces
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 oz bean sprouts
- 1 oz chives or scallion, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 2 tablespoons tamarind
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 3 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 tablespoons tamarind juice or 3 tablespoons Chinese rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- Cook the skinny rice sticks according to the package directions. Strain in a colander and run cold running water until the noodles becomes cool. Set aside to drain.
- Make the Tamarind juice by adding the tamarind and water together. Use your hand or a spoon to massage and squeeze the tamarind pulps to release the flavor. The tamarind juice should be dark brown in color, and slightly thick in its consistency. Extract 4 tablespoons of juice, set aside. Discard the tamarind pulps.
- Mix all the ingredients for the Sauce in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok or skillet over high heat. Add the garlic and stir fry until aromatic. Add the shrimp, tofu, and continue stirring. As soon as the shrimp changes color, add the rice sticks and stir continuously, for 30 seconds. Use the spatula to push all the ingredients to one side of the wok or skillet.
- Add the eggs and let cook for about 1 minute or until the bottom sets. Fold the noodles over the eggs, and then add in the Sauce.
- Stir continuously until everything is well combined. Add the bean sprouts, chives and do a few quick stirs. Turn off the heat and serve the noodles immediately with the lime wedges and topped with the peanuts.
Credits to: unofficialrecipes.com