This is a hearty soup that’s excellent to eat by itself or with rice. Mongo beans are also called mung or green beans. Original recipe makes 6 servings.
- 1/2 pound raw mung beans
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 pound boneless pork loin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 pound peeled and deveined prawns
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 3 cups chicken broth, or more as needed
- 1/2 pound fresh spinach leaves
- Bring the mung beans and the water to a boil in a pot; cook at a boil until the beans are soft, about 40 minutes.
- Mash the beans; set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot; cook and stir the onion and garlic in the hot oil over medium heat until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the pork; season with salt and pepper.
- Continue cooking the mixture another 3 minutes.
- Gently stir the prawns into the mixture; cook 2 minutes more.
- Add the tomatoes; cook another 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat, and pour the chicken broth over the mixture; allow the mixture to simmer in the broth for 5 minutes.
- Add the mashed beans to the soup; mix well.
- Cook another 5 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent any of the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Add more chicken broth or water if the soup is too thick.
- Stir the spinach leaves into the soup and cook 2 minutes more before serving hot.