Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 2 hours
Healthy and traditionally winter melon tea. Perfect iced drink for summer.
- 1500g winter melon
- 250g brown sugar powder
- 50g rock sugar
- Clean water
- Ice cubes
- Wash the winter melon carefully and then remove the skins. Then cut the left part into small cubes. Throw them into a large pot.
- Spread brown sugar powder and give a big stir to mix them evenly. Set aside for around 1 hour until there is a thin layer of water in the bottle.
- Use high fire to bring everything in the pot to a boiling and then add rock sugar. (I would suggest adding the skins and seeds back in this step. But it is totally up to you) Slow down the fire to simmer for 1.5 hours to 2 hours based on your cooking ware until the winter melon is totally transparent. Turn off the fire and wait to cool down.
- Strain the juice out. And press the winter melon with heavily during the process to get as more juice as possible. Or you can use gauze to wrap the winter melon and squeeze the juice out.
How to store:
- Store in airtight container and refrigerate up to 2 weeks, as there is no preservatives in our homemade version.
How to serve:
- Add water three times more than the juice to make an easy winter melon juice..
Credits to: chinasichuanfood.com