- 2 cups white glutinous rice
- 1 1/2 cans (13.5 oz) coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- banana leaves for wrapping
- Rinse the rice until water runs clear then drain.
- In a wok or heavy pot, combine rice, coconut milk, sugar and salt.
- Bring to a boil. Simmer for about 30 minutes in medium heat while stirring constantly then reduce to lower heat.
- Mixture is done when rice becomes very sticky and almost dry.
- Let the temperature cool down before wrapping.
- Prepare the banana leaves by wiping away any white residues with a damp cloth.
- Remove the spine and trim (size preference).
- Scoop the rice mixture and place it over the prepared banana leaves.
- Start rolling to secure the rice mixture and fold the sides.
- Repeat until rice mixture is finished. Set up the steamer.
- Arrange the wrapped mixture into the steamer. Single layer or on top of each other.
- Steam over medium heat for about 45 minutes.
- Remove from steamer. Serve with sugar. Enjoy!