I love this dish, serving it over garlic fried rice and some chopped onions and fried garlic. Sarap!
- 500 grm beef brisket sliced into 1-1/2 inch thick
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 pc onion, chopped
- 1 pc star anise
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbs cooking oil
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup light soy sauce
- 2 tbs sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tbs cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Place beef, chopped onion, star anise and water in a saucepot. Cover and let the mixture simmer until the beef is tender, about 1-1/2 to hours.
Add more water during this process if liquid dries up or if you like the dish to have more sauce.
- Separate beef cubes from the broth. Set aside the beef broth.
- In a saucepan, heat the cooking oil and sauté garlic until light brown. Add chopped onion and sauté until onion are transparent in color. Add cooked beef cubes. Combine well with onion and garlic.
- Add soy sauce, beef broth and season with ground black pepper and a dash of salt. Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Disperse cornstarch in water and slowly add to beef mixture, stirring continuously until sauce thickens.
Serve hot with steamed or fried rice. Enjoy!
image credit: vincenzooo.fileswordpress.com