Makes 1.2kg /2Ib 10oz chorizo
- 1kg/2lb 2oz minced lean pork shoulder
- 200g/7oz pork back fat, diced
- 25g/1oz fine salt
- 1½ tbsp smoked paprika
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1½ tbsp crushed black peppercorns
- 1½ tbsp fennel seeds
- 25-50ml/1-2fl oz red wine
- natural sausage skins (available from butchers)
- For the chorizo, place all of the ingredients, except the sausage skins, into a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Press the sausage meat into a manual sausage machine and press down.
- Place a sausage skin over the end of the nozzle and turn the handle.
- Turn until the skins are all filled, then remove from the nozzle.
- Twist the sausage at 30cm/12in intervals to form individual sausages then prick carefully with a toothpick to release any air pockets.
- Hang in a cool dry place for at least one month, preferably up to three months.
Credits to: bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/homemade_chorizo_98579